The district has a rich history, and of particular interest are a number of sites relating to activities during the War, as well as various other earlier wars. In 1906 a corrugated iron building was erected to serve as a church and was serviced by Minister J Enslin from the Vrede DRC. A stagecoach, carrying pasengers and mail between Memel and Ingogo station did the roundtrip twice a week. The National Bank opened its branch on 19 April 1911 with a Mr Burnett as manager. Memel was proclaimed a town in 1913 and the first Mayor was Mr TC (Doors) van Rooyen of the farm Elandshoek.
Situated on the plateau of the Drakensburg, Memel has a healthy Highveld climate with cool summers and cold winters. Winter temperatures seldom go below -3°C, but a record -17°C was reached a few years ago. The village of Memel is rich in history and culture, going back to the early 1880's when the Land Surveyor, a certain Mr Straszacker surveyed and named the farms in this area. At this time a number of farms were bought from the government. A Mr JJ Muller bought the farm Ecclesfechan, bordering Memel on the southern end, in 1888 and in 1905 donated 1HA to the Dutch Reformed Ministry to establish a church. This plot was also surveyed by Straszacker and he named it Mispa -"lookout tower". At the northern end of Main Street,later to become Voortrekker Street, a stand was set aside for the building of the Dutch Reformend Church. Today it also contains the Library and the Getaways Information Building.
The rondawel consists of 2 bedrooms (1 double bed, 2 single beds), a bathroom, sitting/diningroom and fully equipped kitchen. The attic is furnished with two single beds and one double bed, thus providing sleeping place for another 4 people. Linen and towels are provided. There is electricity but no TV or Radio. Use your cellphone to contact the outside world. The sheltered braai area, created with grass and stone, completes the scene